Chakras are energy centers in the body that play an important role in our physical, mental, and spiritual wellbeing. Understanding this mind-body energy system is essential for becoming the most vibrant, healthy, and radiant version of yourself.
For an introduction to the Chakras and individual chakras 1-6 check out the links below:
- Beginner’s Guide to the 7 Chakras: Exploring the Root Chakra
- Exploring the Sacral Chakra
- Exploring the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Exploring the Heart Chakra
- Exploring the Throat Chakra
- Exploring the Third Eye Chakra
Opening Meditation by Anodea Judith, excerpted from Wheels of Life
You have gone on a journey.
You have touched, you have tasted, you have seen, you have heard.
You have loved and lost and loved again.
You have learned. You have grown. You have arrived at your destination intact.
And now, at the end of the journey, you are almost home.
There is but one step left—the biggest and the smallest of them all.
It is the biggest for it takes us the farthest.
It is the smallest because we are already there.
There is one more door to open—and it contains the key to all that lies beyond.
The Crown Chakra
The last of the spiritual chakras—the crown chakra—is a source of connection with the Divine and our higher selves.
We are here to awaken the Divine within, to experience union with the Divine without, and to see that they are one. This is what the journey is all about, just as it always has been.
Top of head
Awareness, unity with the Divine
Violet to white
Orientation to Self
Muscular system, skeletal system, skin, cerebral cortex, central nervous system
Lotus with 1000 pedals
Spirituality, boundlessness, sense of peace, cosmic consciousness, transcendence of time and space
Stillness, emptiness, presence, intelligence, awareness, knowledge, understanding, grace
To experience the divine meaning of life
Energetic disorders, depression, chronic exhaustion that is not linked to physical disorder, extreme sensitivity to light/sound/other environmental factors, confusion, apathy, alienation
Exhaustion, disconnection, earthly attachments
Faith, cosmic energy
Crown Chakra Imbalance
The chakra system distributes the flow of prana or energy throughout your subtle body. Stress, illness, emotional upset, or conflict all can cause blockages or imbalance in your chakra system. All of the seven chakras are interconnected; when one chakra experiences a blockage or imbalance, it affects all the others. This disruption of energy can cause your mind, body, and spirit to suffer.
When the crown chakra is imbalanced, it can cause you to feel out of sorts, and put stress on your body and mind. If you are working towards finding peace in life or finding your connection to the universe, it is important that you open and balances your crown chakra.
Underactive Crown Chakra — When a chakra is underactive, it means that the chakra is experiencing a blockage or is not distributing the flow of energy. When your crown chakra is underactive, it can affect your overall wellbeing.
When your crown chakra is blocked or underactive, it can hinder your ability to let go of materialistic needs. When the crown chakra becomes blocked, it can often cause you to detach from the world around you and lead to spiritual malaise.
Signs of an underactive crown chakra:
- Lack of inspiration
- Mental Fog
Overactive Crown Chakra — When a chakra is overactive, it means that the chakra is distributing too much energy. It is working in overdrive and bringing imbalance to the chakra. When your crown chakra is overactive, it affects your overall wellbeing.
If your crown chakra is overactive, you may be experiencing a disconnection from your physical body and earthly matters. When your crown chakra is overwhelmed with energy, it can cause you to have a sense of elitism or superiority over others.
Signs of an overactive crown chakra:
- Lack of Empathy
- Sense of Elitism
- Disconnected From Your Body and Earthly Matters
HEALING THE CROWN CHAKRA
CROWN CHAKRA GEMSTONES
Amethyst, clear quartz, diamond, moonstone, white topaz
ESSENTIAL OILS FOR THE CROWN CHAKRA
Frankincense, peppermint, sandalwood, lotus
RELATED CONTENT | A Guide To Begin Using Essential Oils
CROWN CHAKRA INCENSE
Sage, copal, myrrh, frankincense
CROWN CHAKRA FOODS
None—the seventh chakra is home to your radiant spiritual center and connection to Source. Your crown chakra is more spirit than earth, so its nourishment really comes from sources other than food, including love and a strong connection to the Divine.
YOGA FOR YOUR CROWN CHAKRA
- Natarajasana (Dancer Pose)
- Sirsasana (Headstand)
- Urdhva Dhanurasana (Wheel Pose)
- Savasana (Corpse Pose)
GUIDED MEDITATIONS TO BALANCE THE CROWN CHAKRA
MUDRA FOR THE CROWN CHAKRA
Mudras are hand gestures or movements during meditation, and often used during yoga. Mudras carry specific goals of channeling your body’s energy flow; ultimately with the intention of drawing yourself inward.
Mahamayuri Mudra can help you open up and balance the energy of your crown chakra.
The mahamayuri mudra is created by placing your hands in front of your stomach. Let the ring fingers point upwards, touching at their tips. Cross the rest of your fingers, with the left thumb under the right.
AFFIRMATIONS TO BALANCE THE CROWN CHAKRA
Affirmations designed to reinforce the balanced Sahasrara chakra:
- I am constantly connected to my highest self.
- I know that all is good despite appearances to the contrary.
- We are all on this earth to make a difference.
- I am attuned to the divine energy of the universe.
- I know my own spiritual truth and I live in accordance with it.
- Today I am open to divine guidance.
- I see the beauty in the world and I embrace it.
- Lovingly, I emit light that attracts others who will bring love into my life.
- I am love, I am light, and I am joy.
- I am at one with the world around me.
- Right now, I am confident, happy and sure of my worth.
- I trust that my highest good and greatest joy are unfolding now.
RELATED CONTENT |How To Use Daily Affirmations
ACTIVITIES TO BALANCE THE CROWN CHAKRA
Chakra balancing is the process of restoring the harmonious and balanced flow of prana or energy throughout the body. Your chakras are in constant fluctuation. Practicing chakra balancing and aligning is a regular and sometimes daily activity to explore.
- Be open to guidance
- Rolling your head
- Crown chakra visualizations
- Pranayama: the practice of controlling or exercising the breath for the purposes of purification and spiritual illumination
- Cardiovascular activities such as running
- Breathing fresh air and sunshine
WHEN YOUR CROWN CHAKRA IS IN BALANCE
- Feel joy and a deep peace about life
- Connected to a higher power and that you being watched over and cared for
- Able to transcend our ego and go beyond but are at the same time grounded deeply in ourselves
WHAT IS REVEALED IN MY CROWN CHAKRA?
- Do I connect to my highest self, the Universe or the Source?
- Do I have faith and belief in my highest self, the Universe or the Source?
- Do I take time to be aware of myself in the present moment? Do I pay attention to my mind, body, energy and environment?
- Am I transcending my perceived limitations? Do I know my true nature?
- Am I able to see the big picture?
- Do I allow myself to learn, explore and grow? Can I let go of old ideas and perceptions?
- Can I learn from my experiences? Do I ask questions to learn?
- Am I able to surrender to something larger than myself? Can I allow divinity to express itself through me?
Your chakras will show you what they need, as long as you find the place of stillness to listen. Let intuition be your guide on this journey. When your chakras are aligned and fully activated, your intuition works in sacred unison with your emotions and your physical body to achieve balance, contentment, and happiness in your daily life. When there is misalignment, energy is unable to flow harmoniously. Maintaining balance requires commitment, but with mindfulness and conscious practice, you hold the power to reclaim the wholeness and harmony of your mind, body, and spirit and open up a world of greater joy, possibility, and wisdom.
CHAKRAS ARE A COMPLEX YET SO BEAUTIFUL SYSTEM TO WORK WITH AND EXPLORE.
Click below for the Crown Chakra download
Enlightenment is making friendship with the whole existence.
– Amit Ray
Acknowledgement : This information is based on Wheels of Life and Chakra Yoga be Anodea Judith, PhD., Chakra 7 by Carol Tuttle, Deepak Chopra, as well as my own insights.