Chakras are energy centers in the body that play an important role in our physical, mental, and spiritual wellbeing. Understanding this mind-body energy system is essential for becoming the most vibrant, healthy, and radiant version of yourself.
For an introduction to the Chakras and individual chakras 1-4 check out the links below:
- Beginner’s Guide to the 7 Chakras: Exploring the Root Chakra
- Exploring the Sacral Chakra
- Exploring the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Exploring the Heart Chakra
Opening Meditation by Anodea Judith, excerpted from Wheels of Life
Breathe deeply, but slowly so the breath is silent in your lungs.
Feel your throat expand with the air coming in.
Listen for the nothing, listen for the quiet, list deep within yourself for the place of stillness.
Slowly breathe into this void, a deep and peaceful breath.
If you listen, you can hear it now. It is in your breath, it is in your heart, it is in the wind, the waters, the trees and the sky. It is in your own mind, in the rhythm of each and every thought.
From one sound does it all emerge and to one sound shall it return.
And the sound is
The Throat Chakra
Chakra 5 is the center related to communication through sound, vibration, self-expression and creativity. It is the realm of consciousness that controls, creates, transmits, and receives communication, both within ourselves and between each other.
As we climb to the fifth chakra, we are taking another step away from the physical toward the first of the spiritual chakras. Communication is our first step that enables us to transcend the ordinary limitations of the body.
You have now passed the half way point of the heart chakra. You have activated and aligned the energy within, then you softened and expanded into the heart. Now you are ready to begin refining the raw energy you have generated for the higher consciousness of the upper chakras. You do this by listening to the subtle vibrations within and attuning to hear the deeper truth.
Communication, purification, refinement
Orientation to Self
Shoulders, neck, throat, tongue, mouth, ears
Synthesis of ideas into symbols
To speak and be heard
Lotus with 16 pedals
Communication, truthfulness, self-expression, expression of second chakra, balance between head and heart
Harmony, creativity, resonance, coherence, truth
To speak and hear the Truth
Raspy or sore throat, stiff neck, colds, thyroid problems, hearing problems
Lie to self and others
Throat Chakra Imbalance
Underactive Throat Chakra —When your throat chakra is blocked or underactive, it can contribute to feelings of insecurity, timidity, and introversion. When the throat chakra becomes blocked, it often detaches you from your authentic and true self.
Signs of an underactive throat chakra:
- Fear of Speaking Up
- Small Voice
Overactive Throat Chakra —When a chakra is overactive, it means that the chakra is distributing too much energy. It is working in overdrive and bringing imbalance to the chakra. When your throat chakra is overactive, it affects your overall wellbeing.
If your throat chakra is overactive, you may be experiencing a lack of control over your speech, and talking too much or without a filter. When the throat chakra is overwhelmed with energy, it can lead you to become your own and others’ worst critic. You may experience struggles in your relationships because of the way you communicate.
Signs of an overactive throat chakra:
- Overly Critical
- Inability to Listen
HEALING THE THROAT CHAKRA
THROAT CHAKRA GEMSTONES
Turquoise, aquamarine, celestite, lapis lazuli
ESSENTIAL OILS FOR THE THROAT CHAKRA
Lavender, rosemary, frankincense, german chamomile
RELATED CONTENT | A Guide To Begin Using Essential Oils
THROAT CHAKRA INCENSE
THROAT CHAKRA FOODS
Like water, fresh 100% fruit juices (with no added sugars), and herbal teas will help to keep your throat chakra healthy.
Blue foods that occur naturally are rare. However, blueberries are one type of throat chakra healing food that is widely available.
Fruits that grow on trees
Apples, peaches, pears, apricots, and plums, also work to balance the throat chakra.
YOGA FOR YOUR THROAT CHAKRA
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose)
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
- Parivrtta Parsvokanasana (Revolved Side Angle Pose)
- Bakasana (Crow Pose)
- Sasangasana (Rabbit Pose)
- Halasana (Plow Pose)
- Salamba Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand)
- Savasana (Corpse Pose)
GUIDED MEDITATIONS TO BALANCE THE THROAT CHAKRA
MUDRAS FOR THE THROAT CHAKRA
Mudras are hand gestures or movements during meditation, and often used during yoga. Mudras carry specific goals of channeling your body’s energy flow; ultimately with the intention of drawing yourself inward.
Granthita Mudra activates the throat chakra, opening vocal cord passageways, and allowing your communication, voice and expression to be clear and more authentic.
The granthita mudra is created by interlacing your fingers then touch the thumb and index fingers together, creating 2 interlocked circles, and hold the hands in front of the base of your throat.
AFFIRMATIONS TO BALANCE THE THROAT CHAKRA
Affirmations designed to reinforce the balanced Visuddha chakra emphasizes your self-expression, and it affects (and is affected by) everything to do with communication.
Affirmations for the throat chakra might include statements like these:
- I express myself with clarity and confidence
- I express my love and goodness each time I speak
- I am safe and trust others to allow me to express myself truthfully
- I am an important voice in the world and my voice is heard
- I express myself truthfully and clearly
- I am comfortable in silence
- I express my gratitude towards life
- I listen to my body and my feelings to know what my truth is
- I learn to listen to myself and trust my inner voice
- I express myself with clarity and confidence
- I am open, clear, and honest in my communication
- I speak up for myself
- I express my gratitude towards life
- I am aligned with my highest truth and communicate this with love and honor
RELATED CONTENT | How To Use Daily Affirmations
ACTIVITIES TO BALANCE THE THROAT CHAKRA
Chakra balancing is the process of restoring the harmonious and balanced flow of prana or energy throughout the body. Your chakras are in constant fluctuation. Practicing chakra balancing and aligning is a regular and sometimes daily activity to explore.
- Saying ‘OM’ seven times
- Reading out loud and being read to
- Rolling your neck
- Express yourself in a journal
- Speaking stream of consciousness thoughts into a voice recorder
- Daily affirmation practice
WHEN YOUR THROAT CHAKRA IS IN BALANCE
- Express your authentic voice and accept your originality
- Free expression of self
- Have a good balance between silence and speech
- Good listening ability
- Strong creative expression
- Open-minded – able to listen to other points of view
- Accepting of self and others, non-judgmental
WHAT IS REVEALED IN MY THROAT CHAKRA?
- Do I express myself clearly and honestly? Is it safe for me to express myself?
- Do I speak honestly? Do I truly listen to others?
- Am I sharing my messages, skills and talents?
- Do I act and speak with sincere morality?
- Do I have an outlet to express myself? Am I inspired and do I act on my inspiration?
- Do I allow myself to feel my feelings? Am I open to views other than my own?
- Am I honest with myself? Am I honest with others? Do I express my needs and desires?
- Am I genuine? Do I respect others when they are genuinely expressing themselves?
Your chakras will show you what they need, as long as you find the place of stillness to listen. Let intuition be your guide on this journey. When your chakras are aligned and fully activated, your intuition works in sacred unison with your emotions and your physical body to achieve balance, contentment, and happiness in your daily life. When there is misalignment, energy is unable to flow harmoniously. Maintaining balance requires commitment, but with mindfulness and conscious practice, you hold the power to reclaim the wholeness and harmony of your mind, body, and spirit and open up a world of greater joy, possibility, and wisdom.
CHAKRAS ARE A COMPLEX YET SO BEAUTIFUL SYSTEM TO WORK WITH AND EXPLORE.
Coming soon — join me as we explore the third eye chakra. Not only to provide an understanding of the meaning and symbolism of the sixth chakra, but to explore and work through potential blockages to find an energetic balance in body and mind.
Click below for the throat chakra download
Learning too soon our limitations, we never learn our powers.
– Mignon McLaughlin
Acknowledgement : This information is based on Wheels of Life and Chakra Yoga be Anodea Judith, PhD., Chakra 7 by Carol Tuttle, Deepak Chopra, as well as my own insights.