Chakras are energy centers in the body that play an important role in our physical, mental, and spiritual wellbeing. Understanding this mind-body energy system is essential for becoming the most vibrant, healthy, and radiant version of yourself.
For an introduction to the Chakras and individual chakras 1-5 check out the links below:
- Beginner’s Guide to the 7 Chakras: Exploring the Root Chakra
- Exploring the Sacral Chakra
- Exploring the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Exploring the Heart Chakra
- Exploring the Throat Chakra
Opening Meditation by Anodea Judith, excerpted from Wheels of Life
It is dark. Eyes closed, we lie as if asleep, dreamless, ignorant of all around us. Floating in a sea of emptiness, we are cradled in darkness—unseeing, unknowing, at peace. We breathe slowly, in and out, in and out, stretching and relaxing our bodies as we settle into the warm, peaceful darkness inside. We are home. We are safe. We are deep within ourselves, feeling, learning, being—but not yet seeing.
Become this darkness—all-knowing, yet unknowing, empty and free. Let the dark wash over you, soothe you, as you empty your mind into the infinity of the void, the womb of darkness—the birthplace of our dreams to come.
THE THIRD EYE CHAKRA
The sixth chakra—the third eye chakra—is associated with our “sixth sense”; it is the center of wisdom, spiritual insight, and intuition. The third eye chakra is related to your ability to self-evaluate, your ability to learn from your experiences and emotional intelligence.
After attuning your subtle vibrations through the purification of the fifth chakra, you are ready to develop the luminous light of chakra 6. Now the experience is transcendent, taking you beyond this world and into a realm of deep wisdom and beauty. Color and form, insight and intuition spring into view as the third eye center opens wide. Here is where you find the light that will illuminate your path.
To receive, to command
Center of the head slightly above eye level
Insight, guidance, wisdom
Orientation to Self
Brain, nervous system, eyes, forehead, pineal gland
Lotus with 2 pedals
Intuition, cognition, imagination, perception, vision beyond mind and senses
Radiance, beauty, stillness, single-pointed focus, steadiness in core, inner light
To use insight and intuition, to see past the physical
Neurological disturbances, blindness, spinal difficulties, headaches, blurred vision
Ignorance of true self, depression, illusion
Third Eye Chakra Imbalance
The chakra system distributes the flow of prana or energy throughout your subtle body. Stress, illness, emotional upset, or conflict all can cause blockages or imbalance in your chakra system. All of the seven chakras are interconnected; when one chakra experiences a blockage or imbalance, it affects all the others. This disruption of energy can cause your mind, body, and spirit to suffer.
When the third eye chakra is imbalanced, it can cause emotional and physical stress. If you are working toward developing a deeper understanding of your world and expanding your intuition, it is important that you open and balance your third eye chakra.
Underactive Third Eye Chakra — When a chakra is underactive, it means that the chakra is experiencing a blockage or is not distributing the flow of energy. When your third eye chakra is underactive, it can affect your overall wellbeing.
When your third eye chakra is blocked or underactive, it can negatively affect your ability to concentrate, process information, or keep cool under pressure. When the third eye chakra becomes blocked, it can often cause you to be fearful of the unknown.
Signs of an underactive third eye chakra:
- Lack of concentration
- Fearful of the unknown
- Lack of intuition
- Unable to self-reflect
- Unable to see past illusions
- Disconnected from the universe
Overactive Third Eye Chakra — When a chakra is overactive, it means that the chakra is distributing too much energy. It is working in overdrive and bringing imbalance to the chakra. When your third eye chakra is overactive, it affects your overall wellbeing.
If your third eye chakra is overactive, you may be experiencing an overindulgence in your imagination and excessive daydreaming. When the third eye chakra is in overdrive, it can cause you to feel overwhelmed and mentally exhausted. You may experience indecisiveness and clouded judgment.
Signs of an overactive third eye chakra:
- Overly analytical
- Mental fog
- Mentally overwhelmed
- Excessive daydreaming
- Lack of clarity in thoughts
HEALING THE THIRD EYE CHAKRA
THIRD EYE CHAKRA GEMSTONES
Amethyst, clear quartz, star sapphire
ESSENTIAL OILS FOR THE THIRD EYE CHAKRA
Lavender, frankincense, sandalwood
RELATED CONTENT | A Guide To Begin Using Essential Oils
THIRD EYE CHAKRA INCENSE
Star anise, saffron, acacia
THIRD EYE CHAKRA FOODS
Nuts, seeds, and legumes
Especially raw walnuts, sprouted almonds, and poppy seeds — are nutrient-dense and packed with antioxidants that will help heal your third eye chakra.
Metal detoxers from the ground
Such as harvest grains and mushrooms, work to remove heavy metals that are in your body as a result of your environment and everyday life activities.
Like goji berries, acai, concord grapes, and blackberries all supply a megadose of nutrients, optimizing the functionality of your third eye chakra.
YOGA FOR YOUR THIRD EYE CHAKRA
As you enter the upper chakras, you start to move toward stillness. This is less about vigorous asana practice and more about slowing down both body and mind in preparation for the stillness of meditation.
- Virabhadrasana III (Warrior III)
- Garudasana (Eagle Pose)
- Makarasana II (Dolphin Pose)
- Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand)
- Parsvottasana (Intense Side Stretch)
- Baddha Virabhadrasana (Humble Warrior)
- Virabhadrasana I Hasta Gomukhasana (Warrior I with Cow Face Arms)
- Agnistambhasana (Fire Log Pose)
- Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
- Savasana (Corpse Pose)
GUIDED MEDITATIONS TO BALANCE THE THIRD EYE CHAKRA
RELATED CONTENT | The Benefits Of and How To Develop a Meditation Practice
MUDRAS FOR THE THIRD EYE CHAKRA
Mudras are hand gestures or movements during meditation, and often used during yoga. Mudras carry specific goals of channeling your body’s energy flow; ultimately with the intention of drawing yourself inward.
Gyan Mudra connects the fire and air elements, stimulating the brain and is associated with knowledge and wisdom. It symbolizes the unity of universal and individual consciousness, increasing focus and concentration, and cultivates a sense of calmness and openness during meditation.
The gyan mudra is created by touching the tips of the thumb and first fingers together, with the other 3 fingers straight. You can place your palms facing up if you wish to be more open to receive, or face your palms down if you wish to feel more grounded and internal reflective.
AFFIRMATIONS TO BALANCE THE THIRD EYE CHAKRA
Affirmations designed to reinforce the balanced Ajna chakra emphasizes our ability to focus on and see the big picture. It is our energetic center of sight, intuition, clairvoyance and thought.
Affirmations for the third eye chakra might include statements like these:
- I trust myself and my intuition
- I learn from my experiences
- I am in touch with my inner guidance
- I listen to the wisdom of others
- I am open to inspiration
- I follow my intuition and my inner guidance
- I know that all is well in my world
- I am at peace
- I am the source of my truth and my love
RELATED CONTENT |How To Use Daily Affirmations
ACTIVITIES TO BALANCE THE THIRD EYE CHAKRA
Chakra balancing is the process of restoring the harmonious and balanced flow of prana or energy throughout the body. Your chakras are in constant fluctuation. Practicing chakra balancing and aligning is a regular and sometimes daily activity to explore.
- Breathing fresh air
- Cardiovascular activities
- Practice yoga
- Diffuse essential oils
- Keep a dream journal
- Go star gazing
- Use healing stones that have the same vibrational frequency as the third eye
- Make time to be in silence and solitude on a regular, if not daily basis
WHEN YOUR THIRD EYE CHAKRA IS IN BALANCE
- Your intuition is a constant guide that you trust.
- You trust your inner vision and listen to your ‘sixth sense’.
- You understand that there is an inner and outer world.
- You experience clear thoughts AND have spiritual observations.
- You are open to learning from our own experience and others.
- An open third eye chakra synchronizes our right (creative) and left (logical/analytical) brain hemispheres.
- You have a strong sense of your own inner truth and listen to and follow it as it guides you on your life path.
- You act on confidence based on your intuition.
- You truly understand that you are the creator of your reality.
WHAT IS REVEALED IN MY THIRD EYE CHAKRA?
- Am I in touch with my intuition? Do I trust and act on my inner knowing?
- Do I have faith and belief in my highest self? Do I know my true nature?
- Am I transcending my limitations? Do I know my true nature?
- Can I recognize patterns in myself, in others and in my environment? Do I take time to reflect?
- Do I allow myself to visualize and create through imagination?
- Can I recall my dreams? Can I interpret messages from my dreams?
- Can I see my life experiences with inner knowing? Am I decisive?
- Can I receive guidance from higher beings or realms?
Your chakras will show you what they need, as long as you find the place of stillness to listen. Let intuition be your guide on this journey. When your chakras are aligned and fully activated, your intuition works in sacred unison with your emotions and your physical body to achieve balance, contentment, and happiness in your daily life.
When there is misalignment, energy is unable to flow harmoniously.
Maintaining balance requires commitment, but with mindfulness and conscious practice, you hold the power to reclaim the wholeness and harmony of your mind, body, and spirit and open up a world of greater joy, possibility, and wisdom.
CHAKRAS ARE A COMPLEX YET SO BEAUTIFUL SYSTEM TO WORK WITH AND EXPLORE.
Next, we’ll finish up our chakra series with the Crown or 7th chakra.
Click below for the Third Eye Chakra download
We have five senses in which we glory and which we recognize and celebrate, senses that constitute the sensible world for us. But there are other senses – secret senses, sixth senses, if you will – equally vital, but unrecognized, and unlauded.
– Oliver Sacks
Acknowledgement : This information is based on Wheels of Life and Chakra Yoga be Anodea Judith, PhD., Chakra 7 by Carol Tuttle, Deepak Chopra, as well as my own insights.