Chakras are energy centers in the body that play an important role in our physical, mental, and spiritual wellbeing. Understanding this mind-body energy system is essential for becoming the most vibrant, healthy, and radiant version of yourself.
For an introduction to the Chakras and individual chakras 1-3 check out the links below:
- Beginner’s Guide to the 7 Chakras: Exploring the Root Chakra
- Exploring the Sacral Chakra
- Exploring the Solar Plexus Chakra
Opening Meditation by Anodea Judith, Wheels of Life
In the dark there was but one sound-
the sound of beating life, the sound of love, the sound of the heart.
Hear it now in your own heart. Its rhythms pumping life and air and breath through every part of you, renewing you;
Bathing you in air, in space, in breath, in life.
Feel it now at the core of you, embrace it with your hands.
Feel it yearning, crying, loving, hoping, healing.
Feel it within you, old as you are, beating since the days from deep in the womb, feel how long it’s been there.
THE HEART CHAKRA
Now that we have inspired will, taken control of our lives and removed stubborn blocks, we can turn toward our center, warmed, cleansed, and ready to embrace the next level of awareness.
We have now reached the central point of the Chakra System. In all languages, the heart refers to the center of things, the essence, the kernel of truth. This is our spiritual center, our core, the place that unites forces from above and below, within and without.
Your fourth chakra is located by your heart and is the center of love and compassion — both for yourself and others. As the bridge between your lower three chakras and upper three chakras, the task of the fourth chakra is to integrate and balance various aspects of our being — bringing about a sense of wholeness, within which lies inner peace.
Heart, center of chest
Love, dissolution of ego and separateness, expansion
Orientation to Self
Heart, pericardium, circulatory system, lungs, shoulders, arms, ribs, breasts, diaphragm
To love and be loved
Lotus with twelve petals
Compassion for self and others, forgiveness, balance of giving and receiving, wisdom in love
Softness, openness, expansion, radiance, integration
To experience compassion and connection with oneself and others
Asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease, lung disease
UNDERACTIVE HEART CHAKRA
When the heart chakra is imbalanced, it can cause emotional and physical distress. If you are working on improving your compassion and empathy or forming a deeper bond with others around you, it is important that you open and balance your heart chakra.
Underactive Heart Chakra — When a chakra is underactive, it means that the chakra is experiencing a blockage or is not distributing the flow of energy. When your heart chakra is underactive, it can affect your overall well being.
When your heart chakra is blocked or underactive, you may experience the inability to forgive others or move on from past experiences. When the heart chakra becomes blocked, it often detaches you from your emotions, numbing you from love and compassion.
Signs of an underactive heart chakra:
- Lacking empathy
- Overly critical of yourself
- Overly critical of others
OVERACTIVE HEART CHAKRA
Overactive Heart Chakra — When a chakra is overactive, it means that the chakra is distributing too much energy. It is working in overdrive and bringing imbalance to the chakra. When your heart chakra is overactive, it affects your overall well being.
If your heart chakra is overactive, it can lead to a lack of discernment in relationships, leaving you emotionally drained. When the heart chakra is overwhelmed with energy, it can lead to you overexert yourself in your personal life, allowing your relationships to become toxic. You may feel ruled by your emotions and overly dependent on your relationships.
Signs of an overactive heart chakra:
- Neglect emotional self-care
- Lost sense of identity
- Lost sense of personal boundaries
- Saying yes to everything even when it hurts you
- Giving to others without restraints
HEALING THE HEART CHAKRA
HEART CHAKRA GEMSTONES
Emerald, tourmaline, jade, rose quartz
ESSENTIAL OILS FOR THE HEART CHAKRA
Rose, bergamot, neroli, geranium, peppermint
HEART CHAKRA INCENSE
HEART CHAKRA FOODS
Green nutrient-rich vegetables
Especially leafy and cruciferous ones like kale, lettuce, spinach, chard, bok choy, collard greens, and broccoli, will really ramp up the energy of your heart chakra and help to heal it. The fourth chakra is also about balance, and green veggies are neither yin nor yang in Chinese medicine, so they maintain the equilibrium that is essential to the health of this chakra.
Green water-based alkalizing fruits
Such as limes, green apples, and avocados, will also help balance your heart chakra so that you can become more contemplative and more conscious.
Any variety of “green” bean — lima beans, mung beans, etc. These are healing foods for the heart chakra.
Will help keep your heart chakra healthy.
Such as basil, thyme, and cilantro will help charge your heart chakra.
YOGA FOR YOUR HEART CHAKRA
- Gomukhasana (Cow Face Pose)
- Marjaryasana (Cat Pose) – Bitilasana (Cow Pose)
- Anahatasana (Extended Puppy Pose)
- Ardha Mandalasana (Half Circle Pose)
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
- Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- Adho Mukha Vrkasana (Handstand)
- Urdvha Dhanurasana (Wheel Pose)
- Makarasana (Crocodile Pose)
GUIDED MEDITATIONS TO BALANCE THE HEART CHAKRA
MUDRAS FOR THE HEART CHAKRA
Mudras are hand gestures or movements during meditation, and often used during yoga. Mudras carry specific goals of channeling your body’s energy flow; ultimately with the intention of drawing yourself inward.
Padma Mudra is the gesture of the lotus flower and the primary mudra of the heart chakra. The padma mudra is created by placing the palms of the hands together in front of the heart. Keep the base of the palms together, with the thumbs and the little fingers joined, while spreading the other fingers wide, like an unfolding flower.
AFFIRMATIONS TO BALANCE THE HEART CHAKRA
Affirmations designed to reinforce the balanced Anahata chakra emphasizes love and compassion for self and others.
Affirmations for the heart chakra might include statements like these:
- I am worthy of love
- My heart is free from all the wounds of the past
- I am loving to others and to myself
- I live in balance with others
- I know my own emotions, and I accept whatever form they may take
- I forgive myself, I forgive others
- I love myself unconditionally
- I give and receive love fully and effortlessly
- My heart is filled with joy and gratitude
- I choose joy, compassion, and love
ACTIVITIES TO BALANCE THE HEART CHAKRA
Chakra balancing is the process of restoring the harmonious and balanced flow of prana or energy throughout the body. Your chakras are in constant fluctuation. Practicing chakra balancing and aligning is a regular and sometimes daily activity to explore.
- Deep breaths/alternate nostril breathing
- Receiving a massage
- Writing yourself a love letter
- Writing thank you notes weekly
- Love, love, love- opening up our hearts to others
- Making or eating meals made with love
- Find a way to express your love of the people in your life
- Be open to your emotions
- Work on letting go of those things that no longer serve you
WHEN YOUR HEART CHAKRA IS IN BALANCE
- You feel an abundance of empathy, compassion, and love
- Feel comfortable being who you are without influence of external expectations
- Respectful of others
- Routinely practice self care
WHAT IS REVEALED IN MY HEART CHAKRA?
- Can I be compassionate to myself and others?
- Do I allow myself to give and receive love? Can I love without expectations?
- Is there something or someone that I need to release? Can I release previous hurts?
- Is my heart filled with happiness and contentment?
- Can I love myself as I am and others as they are? Am I worthy of my own love?
- Do I have gratitude for my many blessings?
- Am I able to feel for others? Do I feel connected to others?
- Am I comfortable with giving? Do I give without expectations of receiving?
Your chakras will show you what they need, as long as you find the place of stillness to listen. Let intuition be your guide on this journey. When your chakras are aligned and fully activated, your intuition works in sacred unison with your emotions and your physical body to achieve balance, contentment, and happiness in your daily life. When there is misalignment, energy is unable to flow harmoniously. Maintaining balance requires commitment, but with mindfulness and conscious practice, you hold the power to reclaim the wholeness and harmony of your mind, body, and spirit and open up a world of greater joy, possibility, and wisdom.
CHAKRAS ARE A COMPLEX YET SO BEAUTIFUL SYSTEM TO WORK WITH AND EXPLORE.
Coming soon — join me as we explore the throat chakra. Not only to provide an understanding of the meaning and symbolism of the fifth chakra, but to explore and work through potential blockages to find an energetic balance in body and mind.
Click below for the Heart Chakra download
Our own physical body possesses a wisdom which we who inhabit the body lack. We give it orders which make no sense.
– Henry Miller
Acknowledgement : This information is based on Wheels of Life and Chakra Yoga be Anodea Judith, PhD., Chakra 7 by Carol Tuttle, Deepak Chopra, as well as my own insights.