Yoga is so much more than a physical practice.
Yoga awakens the body, stabilizes and strengthens, softens and opens. Yoga creates a connection with ourselves.
Yoga may start out as a physical practice, but if we’re dedicated to the practice, it can become a way of life. The benefits of yoga creates a shift in perspective that can be extremely powerful- it reminds us that we are the captains of our own ships and we possess all the tools we need to build the best version of ourselves.
The basic principle of yoga is that the key to happiness resides within each of us. The practice of yoga is simply the means by which we discover and draw upon the innate wisdom. Yoga opens the door to our full potential as individuals through a system of conscious exercises that not only trains not only the body, but also the breath and ultimately the mind.
Find inspiration and wisdom in the connection of body and mind to enhance your yoga practice or the inspiration to begin:
- Yoga does not transform the way we see things; it transforms the person who sees. -B.K.S. Iyengar
- The very heart of yoga practice is ‘abyhasa’ – steady effort in the direction you want to go. -Sally Kempton
- Yoga is a dance between control and surrender – between pushing and letting go – and when to push and when to let go becomes part of the creative process, part of the open-ended exploration of your being. -Joel Kramer
- Yoga is not about what you do. It is about how you do it. -Adriene Mishler
- In our uniquely human capacity of connect movement with breath and spiritual meaning, yoga is born. -Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa
- The rhythm of the body, the melody of the mind and the harmony of the soul create the symphony of life. -B.K.S. Iyengar
- As you breathe in, cherish yourself. As you breathe out, cherish all beings. -Dalai Lama
- Yoga begins right where I am – not where I was yesterday or where I long to be. -Linda Sparrowe
- Concentrating on poses clears the mind, while focusing on the breath helps the body shift out of fight or flight mode. -Melanie Haiken
- Yoga should be practiced with firm determination and perseverance, without any mental reservation or doubts. -Bhagavad Gita
- Yoga is the practice of quieting the mind. -Patanjali, The Yoga Sutras
- Yoga practice can make us more and more sensitive to subtler and subtler sensations in the body. Paying attention to and staying with finer and finer sensations within the body is one of the surest ways to steady the wandering mind. -Debasish Mridha
- Yoga is about clearing away whatever is in us that prevents our living in the most full and whole way. With yoga, we become aware of how and where we are restricted — in body, mind, and heart — and how gradually to open and release these blockages. As these blockages are cleared, our energy is freed. We start to feel more harmonious, more at one with ourselves. Our lives begin to flow — or we begin to flow more in our lives. -Cybele Tomlinson
- Yoga is a way to freedom. By its constant practice, we can free ourselves from fear, anguish and loneliness. -Indra Devi
- Yoga takes us to the present moment, the only place where life exists. -Ellen Brenneman
- Yoga science is not just a scholarly pursuit. It is a moment by moment and thought by thoughts practical guide for living. -Leonard Perlmutter
- Yoga is a light, which once lit, will never dim. The better your practice, the brighter the flame. -B.K.S. Iyengar
- The study of asana is not about mastering posture. It’s about using posture to understand and transform yourself. -B.K.S Iyengar
- Yoga is not about self improvement, it’s about self acceptance. -Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa
- Most people have no idea how good their body is designed to feel. -Kevin Trudeau
- Yoga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured. -B.K.S. Iyengar
- Yoga is not a religion. It is a science, science of well-being, science of youthfulness, science of integrating body, mind and soul. -Amit Ray
- Yoga is not about touching your toes. It is what you learn on the way down. -Jigar Gor
- Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible. -Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
- Yoga begins with listening. When we listen, we are giving space to what is. -Richard Freeman
- Yoga reveals to you the beauty of mindfulness and takes you into the essence of an endless present moment. -Debasish Mridha
- Yoga is not for the flexible. It’s for the willing. -Anonymous
- If you choose to see everything as a miracle, then where you are right now is perfect. There is nowhere to run to; there is nothing else to do except be in this moment and allow what is to be. From that place of radical acceptance, major change can happen. The first step in any transformational experience is acceptance and surrender to the present moment, the way that it is. From that place we have the awareness, humility and power to change what is. -Mastin Kipp
- Yoga began with the first person wanting to be healthy and happy all the time. -Sri Swami Satchidananda
- The body benefits from movement, and the mind benefits from stillness. -Sakyong Mipham
- It doesn’t matter what it looks like; it matters what it feels like. -Bryan Kest
- The path of yoga is the path of self-discovery. As our self-image disintegrates, we contact our true self. Life becomes a great joy. -Amrit Desai
- Women need real moments of solitude and self-reflection to balance out how much of ourselves we give away. -Barbara De Angelis
- Yoga is the practice of quieting the mind. -Patanjali, The Yoga Sutras
- Yoga is like music. The rhythm of the body, the melody of the mind, and the harmony of the soul create the symphony of life. -B.K.S. Iyengar
- When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all of your thoughts break their bonds. Your mind transcends limitations; your consciousness expands in every direction; and you find yourself in a new, great and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive and you discover yourself to be a greater person than you ever dreamed yourself to be. -Patanjali, The Yoga Sutras
- Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise so I am changing myself. -Rumi
- Yoga is the stilling of the changing states of the mind. -Patanjali, The Yoga Sutras
- It is through the alignment of the body that I discovered the alignment of my mind, self, and intelligence. -B.K.S. Iyengar
- Yoga gives us a space and time to journey to the simplicity of breath and movement and connecting with ourselves. -Jill Conyers
- You don’t always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go and see what happens. -Unknown
- Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. -Rumi
- When you practice yoga once a week, you change your mind. When you practice yoga twice a week you change your body. When you practice yoga everyday it will change your life. -Unknown
- Yoga is when every cell in the body sings the song of the soul. -B.K.S. Iyengar
- I have been a seeker and I still am, but I stopped asking the books and the stars. I started listening to the teaching of my Soul. -Rumi
- The true purpose of yoga is to discover that aspect of your being that can never be lost. -Deepak Chopra
- It’s not life that matters, it’s the courage you bring to it. -Yogi Bhajan
- The quality of our breath expresses our inner feelings. -T.K.V. Desikachar
- When the breath control is correct, mind control is possible. -Sri Krishna Pattabhi Jois
- Surrender is the highest power to gain all that you want to gain. -Yogi Bhajan
- You have to be you and that can only happen if you love yourself. -Yogi Bhajan
- Mindfulness helps us to go home to the present. And every time you go there and recognize a condition of happiness that you have, happiness comes. -Thich Nhat Hanh
- Yoga is the dance of every cell with the music of every breath that creates inner serenity and harmony. -Debasish Mridha
Quotes are a powerful tool used to help invoke inspiration, hope, and happiness. Yoga quotes remind us that we’re all connected and intrinsically share the same emotions. They echo what we know in our hearts and souls to be true. Eckhart Tolle often talks about how he can’t teach you anything you don’t already know — that when something rings true with you it is because it is already within you.
Shared experiences and insights that make you internally nod in understanding, open your eyes to a new perspective or change the way you act, think or speak.
For more yoga inspiration:
- Yoga Playlists
- How To Create a Yoga Journal and Why You Should
- Benefits of Yoga for the Body, Mind & Spirit
Yoga, heals the
body and mind and releases good energy
Beautiful quotes and beautiful illustrations too! Thanks for the wisdom 🙂
These quotes are such wonderful reminders of what is so beautiful and powerful about yoga. Thank you so much for this.
What a gorgeous list of quotes! Such an inspiring read- love it! So glad you put this together.
I have fallen in love with Yoga because it helps balance my mind and my body. I deal with a lot of neck and back pain (and ooohhh the headaches!) I can’t believe how much Yoga can help even when I am hurting so badly! I will definitely be referencing this list! Thanks for Sharing!
These are all such beautiful quotes! I have pinned this to refer to for inspiration!
I love all of these as I love my yoga practice. So many good ones like this: “Yoga is not about touching your toes. It is what you learn on the way down.” Thanks for the inspiration
Love these quotes. Thanks for sharing love
I love quotes so much and these are so great for just life in general. I love the one about inner peace is achieved by not allowing another person or event control your emotions. It’s spot on. The graphics are beautiful, too!
A very interesting compilation of quotes!
I love these! I’m ready to pull out my mat and do some yoga right now!
I have already pinned a bunch of these. Love them and thanks for sharing-Namaste