While traveling, we often lose the time and/or the motivation to eat healthy and stay active. And you know what, that’s ok. Vacation is a time to relax, escape, and have fun. And, definitely don’t miss out on opportunities to try regional cuisine and local restaurants.
Are you planning or preparing for a summer trip? It’s possible to have a fun filled vacation and stay healthy and fit too.
I’m taking 2 trips this summer and I plan to enjoy them to the fullest. With a little planning I can experience the entire trip feeling my best without missing out on any of the fun.
THE #1 TIP IS TO ENJOY YOUR VACATION!
Avoid the mental struggle of trying to follow your regular fitness routine. Allow yourself a little latitude with the foods you eat. And, even more importantly, no judgement and no guilt. There’s absolutely no reason for either.
Who knows? You might find that a quick morning workout before everyone wakes up is the perfect opportunity for a little me time. A delicious meal of local and seasonal produce may be what your body craves and you may not indulge quite as often as you might think.
If you typically workout regularly and your nutrition is healthy and balanced it will be again when you return home.
ALLOW YOURSELF THE FREEDOM TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ALL THE FUN OPPORTUNITIES VACATIONING HAS TO OFFER, HEALTHY AND OTHERWISE.
There are things you can do to make it easy to enjoy your vacation and feel great without taking away from enjoying your vacation.
Try one, all or none of these tips:
- Eat before you go to the airport. Avoid getting hungry and having to eat at the food court while waiting for your flight.
- Pack healthy snacks to eat while you’re traveling. It saves money and it ensures you have healthy foods on hand to hold you over until you arrive at your destination.
- Take this opportunity to check out the local farmer’s market or a new grocery store. When you arrive do a little grocery shopping so that not every meal has to be eaten out. Check with the hotel before you leave home to see if the rooms have a mini fridge or kitchenette.
- Go for a bike ride or a walk to see the sights. Some places might offer bike tours. Just imagine a morning walk at the beach, in a new city or a nearby town.
- When making hotel reservations find out if there is a fitness center in the hotel and ask about safe running routes or park that is close enough to walk to. Whether in the hotel fitness center, a run from the hotel or a body weight workout at a park, they’re all great ways to get in a 30-40 minute workout that doesn’t conflict with plans for the day. This works especially well if the family likes to sleep in and you have some time in the morning.
- Go on vacation with a mindset of making time for exercise when and if you can.
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
HAVE THE MARGARITA OR HAVE THE GREEN SMOOTHIE. EITHER WAY. ENJOY YOURSELF.
Stay happy and healthy on your vacation and return home feeling as good as you did when you left.
I WOULD LOVE TO CHAT.
IS ANYONE GOING TO BLOGFEST NEXT MONTH? DO YOU GO ON VACATION WITH THE INTENTION OF FOLLOWING A FITNESS PLAN? DO YOU TRY TO FIT IN WORKOUTS? WHAT ARE YOUR BEST HEALTHY AND HAPPY WHILE TRAVELING TIPS?
be the best version of YOU