Office snacking adds a unique challenge to healthy eating habits, temptation is everywhere on a daily basis. And, have you noticed it’s not typically a bowl of veggies or a fruit bowl that is readily available?
Candy jar on a co-worker’s desk. Vending machine. The boss rewards the staff with donuts (Anyone know why is it always donuts?). The break room. A co-worker that loves to bake AND share. That’s not including the office snack fest otherwise known as the holidays. Sound familiar?
With so many options it seems impossible to resist the urge to mindlessly snack.
What can you do about it?
- Begin with Breakfast Start your day with a satisfying [not bland] breakfast that includes a combination of healthy fat, carbs and protein.
- Love Your Lunch Pack a healthy, flavorful AND satisfying lunch.
- Don’t Skip Lunch It’s even tougher to curb bad snacking habits when you’re hungry.
- Stock a Healthy Snack Stash Make healthy options easily accessible.
- Go for a Walk Find a distraction from snacking and after about 20-25 minutes the urge lessens or stops all together.
- Ask Yourself Why With an understanding of why you have the urge to snack, and it’s not physical hunger, can make it easier to find an alternative to raiding the candy jar on your co-worker’s desk or making a trip to the vending machine. Possible reasons for the urge to snack at the office: stress, feeling overloaded, boredom, thirst.
Most importantly. Even when you’re armed with the best of intentions and tips you’re going to give in [occasionally] to the urge to snack. When you do, don’t beat yourself up. Enjoy. Move on. Beating yourself up will only create a situation where you’re more likely to continue indulging.
I would love to chat:
Are snack in abundance at your office? How do you resist the urge to indulge in a co-worker’s sweet treats? What is your favorite healthy snack to keep in your stash?
be the best version of YOU