Disclosure: The following post is sponsored by FitFluential LLC on behalf of Skinnygirl.
Snacking is sneaking into our diets more than ever before. In fact, the average American consumes 25 percent of their daily calories from snacks. Not having a “snack plan” in place can sabotage the best of healthy-eating intentions.
What is it about that time of day that makes mindless snacking so appealing when it’s not during any other part of the day? And, most often, I crave salty snacks.
On January 6 I stopped eating gluten for medical reasons and since then I’ve not had one of my all time favorite flavor combinations, the salty sweet of chocolate covered pretzels.
Guess what was in the little red box? A Dark Chocolate Pretzel bar and it’s gluten free!
The plan? Think of healthy snack swaps ahead of time. If you’re like me, right in the middle of a snack attack or craving is not the time to come up with a healthy swap.
It sounds simple enough. I don’t know why I’ve never tried it before.
So far I’ve tried (and liked) 3 of the snack swap recipes for the 3 of my most often craved snacks.
Instead of nachos try Spicy Cheesy Kale Chips
Yields: 2 servings
1 large bunch of kale, chopped or torn into large pieces (~4 cups)
2 tablespoons packed parmesan cheese, grated
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper, or more to taste
¼ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven 450 degrees
- Rinse kale and de-stem.
- Roughly chop or tear the kale into large pieces.
- Place on a cookie sheet lightly greased or lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly drizzle kale with olive oil, toss and bake for 10 minutes.
- While kale bakes, mix parmesan with crushed red pepper and about ½-1 tablespoon of olive oil and mix.
- After the kale has baked for 10 minutes, toss it and sprinkle with cheese mixture and sea salt to taste.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove from oven and let it cool.
- Store in an air tight container
Instead of snacking on potato chips you can try this Spicy Popcorn. You can get this recipe and more when you sign up at Skinnygirl Snack Swap.
Instead of chocolate covered pretzels try the the awesome flavor combination of Popcorn with Sea Salt and Dark Chocolate.
Need a little help or a few recipe ideas to get started with your snack plan? Go to Skinnygirl Snack Swap.
Swap your snack for a chance to win a $1000 Target shopping spree!
Simply sign-up, enter your favorite snack type, choose your favorite indulgence and Skinnygirl will give you nutritionist-approved healthy snack recipes.
Enter for a chance to win an assortment of Skinnygirl Tasty Nutrition Bars. Try them for yourself, especially the Dark Chocolate Pretzel!
Giveaway ends at midnight (EST) on Thursday, September 25.The giveaway is open to residents of the US only (no PO Boxes).
How to Enter
Leave a separate comment for each of the following entries:
- Follow Skinnygirl Daily on Facebook.
- Try your own Snack Swap and share your swap on Facebook at Skinnygirl Daily
- Follow on Twitter – @skinnygirldaily
- Follow on Twitter – @jillconyers
Receive $1.00 off a five-count box of Skinnygirl Tasty Nutrition Bars. Go to Skinnygirl Daily and enter SNACKSWAP9 at checkout.
Chopped Kale Salad
Giant Green Salad with Grilled Salmon
Apple with Almond Butter
Yogurt and Fruit with Walnuts
be the best version of YOU
Let’s stay in touch!
[inlinkz_linkup id=446393 mode=1]