He designs and builds robots to compete. He builds his own computers. At first glance my son is as a computer, technology, science kind of guy but, if you look a little bit closer it’s actually the hands-on that is the most appealing to him.
Whether it’s helping his grandmother fill her bird feeders outside, exploring a creek, building a computer or building his mother a bigger, better garden, doing stuff with his hands is when he is the happiest and when he has a “life is good” look on his face.
Thanks to Alec, I have a bigger and better garden this year. The past few years my gardening was limited to pots on the deck. I didn’t mind having a small deck garden but I’m so excited to have more space this year!
Gardening is a lot of work and worrying about good weather, but it’s worth it. There is just something therapeutic and calming about it. Like mother, like son.
In the past deciding what to grow was easy with gardening in a small space, tomatoes, cilantro and basil. This year, with room for more options, it was overwhelming and a bit intimidating to decide. It was like my brain couldn’t go beyond the limitations of the deck garden.
In the garden this year, Roma Tomatoes, Slicing Tomatoes, Grape Tomatoes (we eat a lot of tomatoes!), Basil, Cilantro, Romaine, Red Leaf Lettuce, Jalapenos, Sweet Peppers and Strawberries.
Good-for-you recipe brilliance from around the web (vegan and gluten free):
- Roasted Carrots with Mint Lime Dressing – Nyoutritious
- Vegetarian Zucchini Noodle Pad Thai – Inspiralized
- Glowing Skin Salad and Detox Dressing – Henry Happened
- Green Pizza with Cauliflower Crust – Green Kitchen Stories
- World’s Greatest Vegetable Lasagna – Green Kitchen Stories
- The Great Big Vegan Salad – Delicious Knowledge
- Spring Green Salad with Honey Dijon and Almond Butter Dressing – Tasty Yummies
- Kale Salad with Fennel, Radish and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds – Nourishing RDs
- Immune Boosting Zucchini Walnut Dip – Nyoutritious
- Early Summer Vegetable Wok – Green Kitchen Stories
On the menu this week:
Berries and Greens Detox Salad
Loaded Sweet Potato
Raw Sprouted Salad
Garden Veggie Stir Fry
Berry Delight with Lemon Zest
Guacamole with Veggies
Coconut Trail Mix
Sunday Meal Prep
- Bake Coconut Trail Mix
- Make smoothie packets
- Chop veggies
- Roast almonds and pepitas
Do you garden? What vegetables are growing (or would you grow) in your garden? What is it about gardening that makes it so therapeutic?
Let’s stay in touch!
[inlinkz_linkup id=406611 mode=1]