Tea cups around the world are bubbling up with bold new flavors: From cardamom chai and sencha green to bubble teas and veggie teas. We wish we could attend the World Tea Expo the end of this month – but in lieu of a plane ticket, we’ll be cooking and baking and stirring up tea-inspired healthy dishes.
A healthy breakfast or snack easily made the night before and ready to go the next day. We all know chia seeds are a wonderful and healthy addition to your diet, with the super high Omega 3s and fiber. Are you as familiar with Matcha Tea as you are chia seeds?
According to Dr. Andrew Weil, in addition to providing trace minerals and vitamins (A, B-complex, C, E, and K), matcha is rich in catechin polyphenols – compounds with high antioxidant activity. These compounds reduce harmful cholesterol in the blood, stabilize blood sugar levels, help reduce high blood pressure and enhance the resistance of the body to many toxins.
If you like green tea and with claims of health benefits like that it’s worth trying, right? I don’t even remember how I was introduced to matcha and my first experiences were less than pleasant. The unique flavor of this green tea can be a bit overwhelming whether brewed to drink or added to recipes, but with a bit of experimenting to find the right amount it’s easy to enjoy the health benefits without the strong flavor.
Chia parfait is a tasty way to try matcha for the first time and is easily adjusted to your preference. The flavor of the matcha combined with ingredients like vanilla, berries, cinnamon and almonds create a wonderfully satisfying breakfast or snack.
A wonderful recipe that combines the unique flavor of matcha tea with ingredients like vanilla, berries, cinnamon and almonds to create a healthy, nutrient dense breakfast or snack.
- 1 cup coconut milk (or your preferred non-dairy milk)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or agave
- 2 pinches cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha powder
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- In a bowl combine the coconut milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, matcha powder, and chia seeds. Wisk until thoroughly blended. For blending, you can also add the ingredients to a jar with a lid and shake or use a blender.
- In a bowl or dessert dish, add 1/2 cup sliced strawberries to the bottom and muddle slightly to release the juices.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture over the strawberries and cover tightly.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove plastic wrap and stir the top layer to mingle the flavors.
- Top with 1/2 cup sliced strawberries, sliced almonds and sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon.
- Enjoy immediately.
Chia puddings and parfaits take practice to get the texture just right. Adjust the amount of chia seeds and liquid to achieve the texture you desire.
Optional toppings: granola, raspberries, blueberries, coconut, walnuts
Let’s stay in touch!
[inlinkz_linkup id=399196 mode=1]