Most mornings I’m happy to have a Shakeology smoothie for breakfast but when I’m not in the mood for a smoothie, a breakfast salad is my new favorite go-to breakfast.
Greens for breakfast? I was skeptical at first. Then, I was shocked how much I liked the flavor combination of greens and eggs. The secret ingredient is the pesto. Red pepper, cilantro, or basil pesto all work wonderfully for breakfast! Who knew?
Start your day with at least 2 servings of veggies with a satisfying protein packed breakfast salad. A perfect solution when you want a little more than grab-n-go for breakfast especially when you're only cooking for one.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- 1 tbs almond milk (or milk of choice)
- pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbs pesto of choice (I use 1 tbs)
- 1 oz feta
- fruit of choice
- In a bowl, combine 4 egg whites and milk and beat until frothy.
- Lightly spray an 8-inch skillet with olive oil and heat.
- Add egg white mixture.
- With spatula, pull edges of omelet in toward center, tilting pan so uncooked eggs flow to edges of pan and underneath omelet. Cook until just set but still loose, 15 to 30 seconds (omelet will continue to cook once removed from heat).
- Add black pepper to taste.
- Add feta to one side of the egg mixture.
- Using spatula, loosen omelet from skillet on all sides; shake pan to ensure it is completely released.
- Fold unfilled half of the omelet over the filled half.
- Remove omelet from pan and keep warm.
- Prepare a sunny side up egg.
- On a plate add 2 handfuls of your favorite greens and top with the omelet.
- Add the secret ingredient, 1-2 tbs pesto to omelet and greens and top with a sunny side up egg.
- Add a serving of your favorite fruit and enjoy!
Experiment with fillings and toppings. For fillings I’ve used fresh and sautéed vegetables, herbs, and a variety of cheeses. Try different types pesto. I used a red pepper pesto for the omelet in the photos but basil or cilantro pesto add a wonderful flavor too. Try topping with avocado and salsa for a southwest breakfast salad. Options are endless for fillings and toppings!
On the menu this week:
Shakeology with 6 almonds
Simple and Savory Oatmeal Protein Oat Cake – Candy Fit
Red Lentil Hummus and Veggie Wrap – Oh She Glows
Roasted Tomato and Hummus Toast with Avocado
Spicy Salmon Stir Fry with Quinoa
Big Green Salad with Veggie Burger
Fruit Medley with Walnuts and Flax
Edamame and Toasted Sesame Seeds
Hummus and Carrots
Tip of the day. I’ve been an apple crisp only eater for years and it is now being replaced with the Kiku apple. It is the sweetest and most flavorful apple ever and it’s the perfect size for a snack, a side or to add to a salad. I’ve only found them at Whole Foods but I would think other stores would carry them too.
Have you ever tried salad for breakfast? What filling or toppings would you add to an omelet? Have you ever tried pesto with eggs?
Be HEALTHY. Be HAPPY. Be YOU.