A Week’s Worth of Smoothies
Whether it’s Kimberly Snyder’s Glowing Green Smoothie, a favorite Simple Green Smoothies recipe or my own creation, I drink a nutrient dense green smoothie at least 5 days/week, usually 7. Like with so many things time became a factor especially when I was having a smoothie for breakfast during the week. I needed an easy and convenient way to prepare smoothies for time-limited mornings before work and taking my kids to school.
A solution to my problem? Smoothie packets. This started as a trial and error process and ended with one of my best weekly meal planning ideas ever.
I considered my container options. First, I tried Ziploc bags. This didn’t work too well. It was wasteful because I threw away the bag after one use and the crucial time saving labeling was permanent. I wanted a reusable option.
Then, I tried the Ziploc Smart Snap bowls. No waste. Easy to label. Reusable. Easy to store. Perfect.
Wash and dry all of the fruits and vegetables first. Chop, slice and peel as needed. The last step of my trial and error was to find out if the layering order of the smoothie ingredients made a difference. It does.
1. Add firm fruits and vegetables to the bowl first.
2. Followed by adding the soft fruits and vegetables.
3. Add all leafy greens on top.
Cover and store in the freezer.
- I use Post-It notes for labeling that includes the name of the recipe and the liquid type and amount that has to be added for blending.
- Take the smoothie packet out of the freezer about 10 minutes before blending. This makes it a lot easier to separate the greens to blend first and to separate the remaining ingredients so that it doesn’t come out of the bowl in one big frozen chunk which takes longer to blend.
- I like smoothies to be thick and cold. Add a little extra liquid if you prefer a thinner consistency.
That’s it. A ready made meal or snack that is easy, satisfying and nutritious.
After 3 weeks of having my menus planned for me with the Fresh Start 21-day Cleanse I’m ready to plan my own and use some of my own recipes.
On the menu for this week…
Banana Bread Protein Cake
Spiced Rubbed Salmon
Sweet Potato with Beet and Kale Slaw
Garden Enchilada Bake
One last thing. I comment on every blog in the link up. Unfortunately, I’ve had a problem with my comments going to spam on some of the blogs. It seems to be a problem with Akismet.