The Longest Long Run and Athleta Running Shorts
I’ve been curious. When training for a race (10k, half, marathon, ultra or whatever distance), how long should the longest run be? My coach, Christine, has created my training plan for a 50 mile race in the fall that I will undoubtedly follow, but I have to admit, I was surprised by the distance of the longest run. 28 miles with a back to back combination of 12 miles. I thought it would be longer. My curiosity is in no way questioning Christine’s expertise.
I researched and googled and realized, like with most questions, the recommendations vary. So, my question for you is:
Whether it was for a past race or a race you’re currently training for what was/is your longest long run?
Week in Review
I completed my first official ultra training week that will lead to my goal race in the fall!
What my workout week looked like:
Monday – Body Revolution Workout 3, Push Ups
Tuesday – Body Revolution Workout 4, Run 6
Wednesday – Body Revolution Cardio, Run 6, Push Ups
Thursday – Body Revolution Workout 3
Friday – Body Revolution Workout 4, Push Ups
Saturday – Run 6
Sunday – Run 16
Thoughts about the week:
- My goal for last week was RELENTLESS FORWARD PROGRESS.
- I underestimated myself when I set my new Under Armour What’s Beautiful goal of 20 regular push-ups and 10 medicine ball push-ups within 30 days. I’m stronger than I thought!
- Running in heat and high humidity takes a bit of an adjustment.
- I started with a plan that ended up being more of a get it done when you can. I completed all planned workouts but I had to be flexible with the “when”. Life happens.
- I enjoyed this week’s workouts of Body Revolution even more then the last (review coming soon).
- Compression was key the this week!
Saturday I went to the recently opened Athleta and found what I was sure was going to be the perfect running shorts!
I wore them yesterday for my long run and I was right, the length, cinch waist, true to size and the comfort of the fabric all perfect. If the “perfect” running shorts exist this is it. I wanted to take pics yesterday but before the run was very early and after the run we were hot and tired so I decided it was best not to test Chad’s patience 🙂