Welcome to What’s For Dinner? Menu Planning
29 days ago we started creating and sharing our weekly menu plans. I read Somewhere that it takes 21[ish] days to create a habit.
According to Life Hack, with a small amount of initial discipline, you can create a new habit that requires little effort to maintain. Here are some tips for creating new habits and making them stick:
- Commit to Thirty Days – Three to four weeks is all the time you need to make a habit automatic. If you can make it through the initial conditioning phase, it becomes much easier to sustain. A month is a good block of time to commit to a change since it easily fits in your calendar.
- Make it Daily – Consistency is critical if you want to make a habit stick. Activities you do once every few days [or weeks] are trickier to lock in as habits.
- Start Simple – Don’t try to completely change your life in one day. It is easy to get over-motivated and take on too much.
- Remind Yourself – Around two weeks into your commitment it can be easy to forget. Place reminders to execute your habit each week.
- Stay Consistent – The more consistent your habit the easier it will be to stick. When cues like time of day, place and day of the week are the same in each case it is easier to stick.
- Get a Buddy [Or a weekly blog link-up 😉 ]– Find someone [or a group] who will go along with you and keep you motivated if you feel like quitting.
- Be Imperfect – Don’t expect all your attempts to change habits to be successful immediately. Try your best, but expect a few bumps along the way.
- Know the Benefits – Familiarize yourself with and recognize the benefits of making a change.
Does menu planning feel like a habit to you now? Does it feel like more of a weekly routine task?
This is our last week of the “official” menu planning challenge, but Laura and I agreed that we want to continue the weekly What’s For Dinner link-up for the encouragement, accountability, support and, don’t forget, recipe ideas. We will have giveaways sporadically along the way. Keep menu planning and visit FItness, Health and Happiness and/or Mommy Run Fast to link up and share.
This week I’m trying a few new recipes that have been on my to-try list forever. Like the Orange “Beef” Broccoli, Protein Muffin Tops and a new vegan soup recipe.
On the menu for this week…
(Template shared with me by Lisa at Smart Food and Fit)
Last week’s Flavor Doctor winner is Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land.
What new recipes have you tried lately?