Happy Fitness Friday! Friday brings an end to a long and very tiring work week. The day after returning home from vacation I went back to work after a wonderful summer break. The adjustment is always a challenge the first week (not that I’m complaining!).
My Fitness Friday this week? It seems pretty simple to me, I want to know what’s in the food I eat. I no longer live in California but this is a topic that reaches far beyond the CA border.
With changing my diet over the past year I have researched and learned so much about food and nutrition. What makes certain foods a ‘superfood’. Food groups that are more beneficial for performance and endurance. The realization of how much different foods impact the body. And so much more.
With all of my research [and curiosity] the term – GMO’s – Genetically Modified Organisms frequently pops up. So I added that to my label reading list with the intention of avoiding genetically modified foods. Guess what? It’s not on the label. I am not being given the information I need to make an informed decision about the food I eat and feed to my family. That is unacceptable!
The healthy blogger community is rallying their support behind Prop. 37. Leah Segedie (one of the most influential mommy bloggers on the internet and the force behind Mamavation) wrote this about GMO’s:
“So what is a genetically engineered food? According to CA Right to Know (Prop. 37 in California), “a genetically engineered food (also known as genetically modified organism, or GMO) is a plant or meat product that has had its DNA artificially altered by genes from other plants, animals, viruses, or bacteria, to produce foreign compounds in that food. This type of genetic alteration is engineered in a laboratory, and is not found in nature.”
It’s estimated that 70% of our food on grocery shelves contains GMOs, compared to only 5% in Europe. The early 1990′s the FDA allowed all sorts of things into our food supply such as additives, preservatives, and GMOs. Since then we’ve had some significant changes to the health of our children. According to Healthy Child Healthy World these are stats about differences in illness in children since early 90s.
400% increase in food allergies
300% increase in asthma
400% increase in ADHD
1,500% increase in autism”
Some other interesting facts about GMO’s:
- this is a bipartisan issue – 89% of Republicans and 90% of Democrats support labeling of GMO’s
- A survey from the Mellman Group shows that only 1 in 4 Americans think that GMO’s are “basically safe”
- an example of a GMO is corn that has been modified to either produce its own pesticide or to withstand a high amount of pesticides (from the CARightToKnow.org website)
You may not live in California and asking yourself “What can I do?”
- Do the research for yourself. Educate yourself on the benefits of full disclosure about what is in our food.
- Read this article specifically about the myths and facts of the initiative.
- Join a live chat today, August 10, on Twitter from 7-8PM PDT to discuss and educate people about Proposition 37.