Welcome to another week of What I Ate Wednesday with a focus on 2 things I’m most passionate about, nutrition and running.
Food, Fun and Fitness
On the menu…
- Breakfast. Sunflower Butter and Banana Protein Overnight Oats
- Snack. Strawberry Protein Smoothie (post-workout)
- Lunch. Sunny Spicy Veggie Wrap with Spiced Seed Zucchini/Carrot Slaw Salad from Healthy. Happy. Life.
- Dinner. A combination of leftovers. Oh She Glows’ Our Perfect Veggie Burger and Karma Chow’s Tony Horton Vegan Burrito on a bed of romaine.
I love speed work. Never in a million years did I expect to have those 4 words come out of my mouth. Bright and early yesterday morning Chad and I drove to the high school track, ran 6x400s at 5K pace and ran home in time to wake up my daughter for summer school. A total of 6.75 miles. I love the cushioned feeling of running on a track and the feeling of accomplishment of speed, in contrast to distance, when I’m done. There is just something about speed work that makes you feel like a rockstar!
Benefits of Speed Work
- Increase calorie burn. Speed training with one- to five-minute bouts at the faster speed can increase the overall calorie burn of your workout.
- Improved VO2 max (oxygen capacity). VO2 max measures the amount of oxygen your body can produce during a workout. The higher your VO2 max, the more power and stamina you have.
- Improved race times. Speed training helps you build up to sustaining a fast race pace for longer without excessive fatigue.
- Increase fat burning. Performing regular speed training makes your body more efficient at burning fat.Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/145589-the-advantages-of-speed-training/#ixzz20JJu4b1m
If you’re a runner do you include speed work in your training? Do you love it or see it as a necessary evil? Do you combine leftovers for a meal? What’s your favorite thing from your menu this week?
Visit Peas and Crayons to check out more Food, Fun and Fitness.
Come back Friday and link up your fitness, health and nutrition blog posts! Check out the great blogs shared last week Fitness Friday. Click the button above for the details.