Is happiness a choice?
Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” —Abraham Lincoln
Is being happy a choice we make or does it just happen? Can we really change our level of “happiness”? Is happiness something you can measure, chart and increase?
Interestingly, according to The Happy Movie,
50% of our happiness is within our genes. Some of us routinely see the glass as ‘half full’ and are more cheery than others. Then, 10% of our happiness is made up of the things that happen that can make us happy. You hear a song that reminds you of a great time in your life or you scratch a ticket and win fifty dollars…you become happy. The other 40% of our happiness we get to create.
6 Ways To Create Happiness In Your Life
- Stop the comparisons. – Acknowledge your strengths and accomplishments. The more you judge and compare yourself to others and your fantasies of how you should be, could be, or would be the more likely your expectations will become unrealistic and unattainable.
- The past is the past. – Live in the present. You can’t be happy if you’re carrying the burden of the yesterday on your shoulders. Did you make a mistake? Did you have a terrible experience? Whatever it may be, the past is history and there’s nothing you can do to change it.
- Count your blessings. – Sometimes we get so caught up in seeing what we don’t have, that we miss out on what is right in front of us. To be happy doesn’t mean you don’t desire more, it means you’re thankful for what you have and patient for what’s yet to come.
- Inspire others find happiness. – Happiness doesn’t come through selfishness, but through selflessness. The more happiness you help others find, the more happiness you will find.
- Think about how far you’ve come. – Focus on your accomplishments rather than on what you didn’t do. In the heat of the moment when you feel like quitting, think about how far you have come and why you started in the first place.
- Invest your time in the things you love. – The most important decision you will ever make is what you do with the time that is given to you. Make the most of it.