What I Learned Running 12 In 2012
Good morning and welcome to Fitness Friday!
Last Friday sign-ups started for 13 in 2013 and to say the challenge has taken on a life of it’s own is an understatement. I’ve received countless emails with every question imaginable, sharing excitement for the challenge and participants sharing why they’re taking on the challenge. It’s been an overwhelming and amazing experience all at the same time.
Looking back at all of the questions that have been asked I remembered having some of the same questions this year with my goal of running 12 In 2012. With the hope that this might be helpful to anyone with a multiple race goal for next year, the participants that have already committed to 13 In 2013 and for those that are still a little bit hesitant I share with you…
Top 10 Things I Learned From Running 12 In 2012
- Be flexible with your race calendar. Life happens and that means your calendar may not go as planned. No worries. Find another race and move forward toward your goal.
- Plan meet-ups with other participants. Make the experience remarkable! Meeting other bloggers/runners was one of my favorite things about racing this year.
- Don’t expect family to go to every race. If you’re like me you have almost always had your family at the start and finish line. Don’t be surprised or have your feelings hurt if they don’t go to all of them. It doesn’t mean they don’t support you. I had to remind myself that 12 in 2012 was my goal and not theirs.
- Don’t be surprised if you go through a period of feeling race burnout. Depending on your calendar try a few weeks or maybe even a month of not racing at all. Or, try running a different distance or a different type of race. I added fun runs into the mix like Color Me Rad and a Mudathlon and an ultra relay.
- DO NOT expect to run a PR with every race! I probably should have put this as #1. Chances are slim to none that you can PR at all 13 races. Sure, I told myself this countless times but at the starting line in the back of my mind “maybe I can PR” creeped into my thoughts. If you’re focusing on PRing in 2013 pick a few races as goal races but other than that, run for fun and enjoy the experience.
- Take pictures! Every now and then the races will kind of blur together in your mind. After it’s all said and done you’re going to want to remember the details!
- Find a partner to run the races with you. My husband unknowingly took on the same challenge and ran almost every half marathon with me. It made the experience all the better.
- Travel to a destination race. I took the opportunity to run a half and visit family. It was a nice way to break up running in the general area of Ohio.
- Listen to your body. If that means missing a race so be it. I know that’s easier said than done but it’s not worth the risk of injuring yourself and not being able to run for an extended period of time.
- Be proud of your accomplishment! My husband and my coach teamed up to teach (and remind me of) this. The races that you PRd, the races that you walked a little, the races that you wanted to quit…all of them! Smile and be proud every time you cross the finish line!
A sneak peek for you to anticipate if you’ve already signed up and to tempt you if you haven’t.
I’m kind of particular when it comes to running socks. Beginning with the first day I started running I wore only one brand of socks. Then almost 7 years later I had the wonderful opportunity to try Swift Wick socks in October at the Runner’s World Half and Festival and I haven’t worn any other sock to run or workout since. And, I’m kind of partial to companies that use words like sustainable and environmentally friendly.
It’s small fun details like a trendy hairband that will add to the experience of running 13 races.
Are you looking for simple addition to your workout outfit? Want to accessorize your look? Simple-Trends headbands are just what you need for your lifestyle. Whether you wear it to run, for a fitness class, out for the day, or out on the town….. You will love your new look.
Be on the lookout next week for more sneak peeks and the announcement of a prize that will go to 50 of the participants!
Have you joined 13 in 2013? Do you wear headbands when you run or workout? Are you particular about your socks?
Now it’s time to link up!