Have you noticed the #plankaday hashtag on twitter and blog posts? Sherry Pagoto hated doing ab exercises, but she wanted to strengthen her core. So, she decided to start doing a plank every day with her friend Mike. The challenge is to do just one plank daily, aiming to gradually increase your time, and then tweet it using the #PlankADay hashtag.
The benefits of plank exercises are:
- Convenient – Plank exercises can be done at home or at a gym. All you need is a mat.
- Flexibility – Plank exercises increase flexibility in the posterior muscle groups throughout your body.
- Aesthetic – Plank exercises can improve your appearance by activating core muscles which stabilizes your spine and hips improving posture.
- Mental – Plank exercises can improve mental benefits that improve your mood. Plank exercises stretch muscles that commonly stiffen throughout the day and contribute to stress.
- Strength – Plank exercises help strengthen the midsection, upper-body and lower-body muscles along the front of your body.
The benefit of joining the challenge is that it’s a simple and fun way to target your abs without doing crunches.
Using the challenge my goal is one plank everyday in the month of September with a long-term goal of 5:00.
9/2/12 – 1:16
9/3/12 – 1:14
9/4/12 – 2:04
9/5/12 – 2:15
9/6/12 – 2:14
9/7/12 – 2:17
9/8/12 – 2:35
9/10/12 – 3:03 PR!
What is the longest time you’ve held a plank? What would your gaol be if you joined PAD? What are your favorite core exercises? Have you ever committed one month to doing something specific everyday? Are you motivated by challenges?