Welcome to Fitness Friday #56!
Looking back the first thing that comes to mind is the challenge of running in the heat and humidity and not letting that challenge derail my motivation and training. Of course there was more to the past month than difficult weather. July was a month of successes, challenges, running and obsessions.
- Total Runs: 15
- Total Miles: 95.25 (So close to 100!! Next month!)
- Race(s): 7/4 Run For Liberty 5K; Lei 5K; Color Me Rad 5K
- Twelve In Twenty Twelve: 0 (as much as I wanted to run a half this month it turned out for the best with the excessive heat and humidity)
- Total Recovery Runs: 4
- Total Speedwork: 4
- Total Workouts Weights/Abs: 14
- Total Workouts Yoga: 6
- The Extra Mile by Pam Reed – an autobiography about ultra-marathon runner, Pam Reed, who, at the age of 42, won a grueling 135-mile race in temperatures that reached a stifling 133 degrees in Death Valley, California.
- Protein! Making sure I am eating enough protein from a variety of plant based sources.
- Finding another non-fiction book on ultra running.
- Beating the heat.
- Speedwork. The feel running on the track and using 5Ks as speedwork.
- 2012 Olympics!
- I’m sure I’m not alone when I say the heat and humidity has been a physical and mental challenge. It’s tough to run when you feel like you have an elephant sitting on your chest.
- A serious lack of motivation and training burnout.
- You are better than you think you are. You can do more than you think you can. ~Pam Reed